On Friday 2016-09-02 11:49 -0700, Wes Kocher wrote:
> I don't believe that's a workable situation. At the moment, the policy is
> that every new intermittent failure gets a bug filed for the purpose of
> tracking it. There's talk (and has been for at least a year or two, now) that
> work will begin on OrangeFactor version 2, where intermittent failures could
> get tracked within OrangeFactor's own database, and we only file bugs for the
> failures that get too noisy, but no one has had time to work on that in the
> last two years, so would need prioritization from higher ups for someone(s)
> to dedicate some time to work on it.

In the past, a single problem that showed up across multiple tests
would be covered by a single bug, as it should be.

Recently, sheriffing practices have changed so that intermittent
failure bugs that show up in different tests now have a separate
bugzilla bug for each test they occur in.  This causes:

 1. a large number of rarely-occurring bugs -- enough that
 intermittent-orange bugs are a significant fraction of the bugs
 reported, but most of the bugs document only a single failure (in
 many cases, a problem that has also occurred on other tests,
 tracked in different bugs).  This encourages ignoring the bugs and
 just looking at orangefactor for what's interesting/relevant.

 2. spreading out a single problem across >100 bugs [1] leads to the
 severity of that problem being ignored for extended periods of
 time.

-David

[1] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=1285531

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know