Henrik Skupin wrote on 01/09/16 17:37:

After a longer time without a response I would like to give a follow-up
on where we stand at the moment and what the future will be for those tests.

But first, I want to say thanks to everyone who participated in this
thread. The received feedback was very helpful and showed that a couple
of topics are questionable and needed further discussion.

With all that in mind we decided to get away with the original idea of
moving the firefox-ui tests to the appropriate components in the state
they are in right now. This will ensure that:

* no other subdirectory for a new kind of test has to be added
* don't make it harder for developers to decide which harness to use

Instead our team decided to work towards the goal in transforming the
firefox-ui-functional tests into plain Marionette tests. The work as
such is not that trivial given that a couple of things have to be
obeyed, and not everything is clear yet - especially not how we want to
continue in testing nightly and release builds via mozmill-ci. But that
shouldn't stop us to make writing Marionette tests for Firefox easier.

Just to give an overview, here are the sub-projects I have to work on:

* Decouple the Firefox Puppeteer package from FirefoxTestCase and make
it an optional (mixin) class, which then could even be used with
MarionetteTestCase if wanted.

* Get rid of large portions of the firefox-ui harness except for update
tests which would still require a separate harness due to their own
command line arguments.

* Refactor Marionette tests in domain specific jobs. As you know we run
all the existing tests (unit, browser, layout, toolkit) in a single job
and report as `Mn` to Treeherder. This should be split up into chunks.
There will be a follow-up email on this topic soon.

* Ensure that those jobs which report as Tier-1 will not use remote
testcase data, and consider a new Tier-2 group for others (necessary for
lot of the fx-ui security tests)

* Refactor existing firefox-ui-functional tests into plain Marionette
tests and get browser peer review before moving them to the appropriate
tests folders.

* Keep automation (mozharness, mozmill-ci) intact in parallel so we do
not loose test coverage as needed by QE.

I'm sure that the above outlined goals will be in a better alignment
with you all. If not, or if there are questions, please let me know.

Thanks,

--
Henrik Skupin
Senior Software Engineer