On 30/09/2016 06:04, Chris Peterson wrote:
> Is Gonk used anywhere besides B2G? Can we remove all Gonk code, e.g.
> dom/camera/Gonk* and #ifdef MOZ_WIDGET_GONK?

Gonk is not used anywhere else, some of it's code was merged with
Fennec's code to reduce the maintenance burden but there's still quite a
bit that's B2G-specific.

Since gonk is a widget on its own, during the internal discussions about
it I - and others who worked on B2G - repeatedly asked for the gonk
widget to be left in the code even after the removal of all the
B2G-specific APIs (as a tier3 platform obviously).

This would allow a few things to happen:

- We would still have the functionality to render web content into the
low-levels of the Android graphics stack

- We could keep developing B2G OS using fully web APIs by implementing
all the B2G-specific bits in external daemons with web-facing interfaces
that would live out of mozilla-central

As far as mozilla-central is concerned this would mean that all gonk
directories for non-standard APIs would still be removed, this includes:

- dom/media/platforms/gonk
- dom/cellbroadcast/gonk
- dom/system/gonk
- dom/secureelement/gonk
- dom/nfc/gonk
- dom/telephony/gonk
- dom/mobilemessage/gonk
- dom/icc/gonk
- dom/mobileconnection/gonk
- dom/wappush/gonk
- dom/voicemail/gonk

All the code protected by MOZ_WIDGET_GONK but B2G-specific would still
be removed, that means pretty much all the code under netwerk, dom,
security, etc...

What would be left would be essentially:

hal/gonk
widget/gonk

The amount of code in both directories would be cut down significantly
though as all the code needed to support the non standard APIs would be
removed.

We'd still have some MOZ_WIDGET_GONK-specific stuff under gfx/ and
media/ but it's not much and I wouldn't mind removing all the
non-necessary stuff (e.g. screen recording, overlays, ...). Besides
being tier3 nobody should mind breaking it. We'd fix it up ourselves.

Since there's not been a public discussion on this like we had for the
Qt widget [1] I'd like to talk about it here. Note that I've been
personally taking part in the efforts of removing the B2G-specific APIs
mostly because I know how they work and what non-obvious parts of our
codebase they affect.

 Gabriele

[1] https://lists.mozilla.org/pipermail/dev-platform/2016-June/015447.html