On 30 September 2016 at 11:31, Gabriele Svelto <gsve...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Since gonk is a widget on its own, during the internal discussions about
> it I - and others who worked on B2G - repeatedly asked for the gonk
> widget to be left in the code even after the removal of all the
> B2G-specific APIs (as a tier3 platform obviously).

> - We would still have the functionality to render web content into the
> low-levels of the Android graphics stack

+1

I still personally think that the Gonk widget layer is a valuable asset in
its own right and that we may eventually find that we need it in Connected
Devices. If it helps, think of it as the Brillo widget layer given Gonk is
much the same thing as Google Brillo (AOSP minus Java).

Part of the B2G decision appears to be to remove this code, but it's true
there was no public discussion about this as there was with the Qt widget
layer where the option was given for someone to volunteer to maintain it.

Ben