On 10/31/2016 11:23 AM, nicjan...@gmail.com wrote:
Boomerang is an open-source library [1] for collecting performance telemetry.
You're correct that it currently captures the battery level and other device
characteristics.  While Boomerang was not designed for the purpose of
fingerprinting users, it captures many performance metrics and page
characteristics on the beacon.  Boomerang also only captures battery level, not
charging time/discharging time (which we understand to be needed for the
fingerprinting case).  mPulse RUM itself (which is one of the services that
utilizes Boomerang) does not do user fingerprinting -- we capture all of this
data to look at aggregate performance.

Boomerang has been collecting the battery level in supported browsers for a
while, but we don't consider it an essential device characteristic.  In
aggregate, it becomes interesting -- we can tell, for example, if certain paths
through a customer's website correlate with high battery discharge, indicating
possible post-page-load performance issues (like too many ads).

Thanks for the explanation of Boomerang. I see how battery level would be an interesting data point for RUM. I don't know if the battery measurements would be precise enough for short browsing sessions to be actionable, though it might be interesting to exclude low-battery users as outliers with non-representative system performance. :)

Have you seen any such correlations?

chris