On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 12:40 PM, Karl Tomlinson <mozn...@karlt.net> wrote:

> Gregory Szorc writes:
>
> > When the autoland repository was introduced, it was advised to not pull
> > from this repository because we plan to do rewrites like this frequently
> in
> > the future. So if this rewriting impacted your local repo and you aren't
> > sheriff, you should consider changing your workflow to not rely on
> pulling
> > the autoland repo.
>
> Thank you for cleaning up the accidental delete/adds.
> Do you think it would be worth blocking commits from git that add
> and remove files to avoid this happening in future?
> This is not the first time this has happened.
> Bug 1313432 (automv) may help on autoland, but the problem is not
> specific to autoland.

Loss of copy and rename metadata due to human error and poor tooling has
been a problem for years. Plans are in motion to require autoland for all
landings. Probably sometime in 2017. (Note: this won't necessarily require
MozReview.) So once autoland is handling everything, we can do copy/rename
detection in autoland and this wont be a problem any more.

As for a stop gap to block commits without copy metadata, that is
computationally expensive and not something I feel comfortable deploying on
the server side.

> When history is rewritten, is there a way to view the original
> history through the web interface, so that autoland tinderbox
> builds can be used to find regression ranges?

No. Rewritten changesets should result in "replacement" automation results.
So there should be no loss of automation coverage. So there should be no
major impact to things like regression range searching.

> https://hg.mozilla.org/integration/autoland/rev/04a37d89a469
> says "An error occurred while processing your request"

This is likely bug 1321344. Ugh, it looks like that issue is more
widespread than I thought. I'll try to fix it in the next hour.

> Is it necessary to pull autoland and use the evolve extension?

It isn't necessary to have evolve enabled to pull the autoland repo. But if
evolve is enabled, rewritten changesets that you have pulled from the
autoland repo will disappear automatically. Otherwise your local repo will
keep accumulating old heads now have since been rewritten on the autoland
repo. If Git users pull from autoland, it will appear as if a force push
occurred.