On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 8:42 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbar...@mit.edu> wrote:

> On 12/15/16 3:28 AM, Andrea Marchesini wrote:
>
>> Spec: https://w3c.github.io/netinfo/
>>

> Is there any plan to have this turned into an actual spec, complete with
> IPR commitments, testcases, wider review, etc?

What is an IPR commitment?

It seems we can implement WPT tests.  I don't know what you consider "an
actual spec", but I imagine if we show interest in implementing it will
graduate from WICG to its own w3c repo.

> Have we done a privacy review of this spec?  Why should a webpage ever
> know whether I'm connected via "ethernet" vs "wifi" (insofar as we have any
> way to determine this at all; I could be connected via "ethernet" to a
> bridge that is connected via "wifi")?

We are shipping the connection type information on android already.  Since
FF32 as far as I can tell.

The downlink max bandwidth would be just a lookup table from the type info
in our implementation.  It could be improved in the future, of course.

Also, I'm not sure how transient data like connection type really helps
with fingerprinting too much compared to the other info already available
to fingerprint.

> Looking at the use cases document at <http://w3c-webmob.github.io/n
> etinfo-usecases/>, it seems like people generally care more about things
> like "bandwidth costs money" and "how much bandwidth do we expect?" than
> about the actual physical transport, no?

The spec is pretty clearly written to specify maximum possible downlink
given the first hop interface.  It does not make any claims about actual
total throughput.  I personally don't agree APIs like this need to provide
perfect information to provide value.

So, while I think we should implement this, I do have one concern.  We have
been shipping a `typechange` event on this API while the spec and chrome
use a `change` event.  If we start firing `change` as well, do we need to
still fire `typechange` for back-compat?