On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 12:06 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbar...@mit.edu> wrote:

> On 12/15/16 11:23 AM, Ben Kelly wrote:
>
>> if (navigator.connect.downlinkMax > 100) {
>>   // perform low-priority background downloads
>> }
>>

> Why is the downlinkMax the right thing to be checking here, though? Again,
> outside of the "cellphone on a cell network" case, the last-hop bandwidth
> tells you pretty much nothing because it's incredibly unlikely that the
> last hop is the bottleneck.

Its more information than nothing.  And saying its a limit on the maximum
is accurate.  And its a value that can become more accurate over time with
better OS and network integration.  Code using the API gets that for free
without changing anything.  If it special cases on "cellular" or "wifi",
then it has to update its list if a new networking type is introduced in
the future.

I agree that for the "cellphone on a cell network" case the last-hop
> bandwidth can be useful.

Bluetooth networking is also a thing.

I think being able to distinguish this stuff provides some value even if
its not perfect for all cases.  And I don't see how it causes any harm.