On 2016-12-15 6:28 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 12/15/16 6:15 PM, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
>> (I personally agree with most of what you said, except that I'm
>> convinced that we should expose that one bit.)
>
> Exposing this one bit makes a lot of sense to me.
>
>> From a more practical perspective, we have two shipping implementations
>> of this API.  What are you proposing to do with that for starters?
>
> After we finish crying?  I think we fundamentally have two options:
>
> 1)  Create a new API, convince everyone to ship it and deprecate the
> other thing, and eventually hopefully remove it.

CCing Marcos, as he may have an idea about the practicality of this
approach.

> 2)  Figure out a way to map the one bit of information we actually want
> to expose into some sort of values that look like the existing API.
> Change the spec as needed to allow tweaks we want to make here (e.g. to
> allow having the max speed thing not be defined or always be 0 or always
> +Infinity, or always NaN, or always 42 or something).

This would be interesting to think about...

Would it be safe to conclude that at this point we should not be
exposing this API to more contexts (such as workers, and/or non-Android
platforms)?

>> Note that Chrome has some use counters on this API:
>
> Right, those are all above their removal thresholds.  But I should note
> that we've recently removed other things with high use counters once we
> determined that a lot of that was from tracking scripts...  That said,
> the NetInfoOnChange counter is not likely to be tracking script.

Right.

> I assume this is just data from Chrome, not webviews?

Honestly I don't know.  The UseCounter code I've seen in Blink seems to
collect counters unconditionally, but they may very well filter out data
from webviews somewhere in their pipeline.

We should probably consider collecting our own telemetry for this.

> -Boris
>
> P.S.  I wish our DOM counters had a display like this, both in terms of
> searchability and performance.  :(

Amen to that...  :/