On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 10:51 AM, Gervase Markham <g...@mozilla.org> wrote:
> On 15/12/16 14:20, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>> Looking at that collection of existing user, basically all of them want
>> the user to anser this question:
>>
>>  "Use expensive traffic (y/n)"
>
> And this should be an OS-level switch which the browser and other apps
> both respect and reflect. Doesn't Android already have a "background
> data" switch?

Until an OS-level switch happens, I think a browser level switch could
work well.

> If I'm on the train wifi, I want to turn off all unnecessary traffic,
> both to show love to other users, and because it'll make what I'm
> actually focussed on doing faster. Now is not the time to run a backup.
> I'd love such a switch on my laptop which my apps and web pages respected.

Gerv points out another good use-case. Train/plane and other shared
limited wifi.

Honestly this is starting to sound more and more like a need for a
"Minimal Network" variant of the "Work Offline" option we have in
Firefox (which AFAIK no other current browser has), since no amount of
OS-level guess-work is going to give you a reliable answer (as this
thread has documented).

Tantek