On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 11:34 PM, Jim Mathies <jmath...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> What's the debugging situation look like for Windows developers? I've heard
> it's pretty painful. Can we step through rust code using common tools
> (WinDBG/Visual Studio)?

You can set breakpoints and step through rust code using Visual Studio.
Sometimes you can make sense of values in the Locals/Auto/Watch panels too.
(Perhaps someone has worked out how to write autoexp.dat-like debug
visualizers for rust?) Then again, unoptimized rust code is very slow so
you'll probably find you're building with optimizations on making most of
those values useless.

The biggest problem I find is that even with RUST_BACKTRACE=1 I rarely get
call stacks when rust code panics. I normally have to rebuild without the
panic="abort" configuration[1] and then attach a debugger in order to see
the failing call stack. I suspect this only applies to rust code called
from C++ (and not, e.g., when debugging Servo), and at least once I have
actually seen a call stack from a panic dumped to the console, so I'm not
sure what's going on there.

Then there's the incredibly long build/link times.

[1] https://pastebin.mozilla.org/9026883