On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 2:50 AM, James Graham <ja...@hoppipolla.co.uk>
wrote:

> In general it seems unfortunate if we are deciding to implement a
> proprietary protocol rather than opting to either extend something that is
> already a standard (e.g. WebDriver) or perform standardisation work
> alongside the implementation.

That would be unfortunate, I agree. I hope that's not what's happening
here. By adopting the CDP console and JS debugger protocols I think we are
doing exactly what Mozilla should do: encouraging the adoption and
formalization of de-facto standards.

What alternatives have we considered here?

The Devtools team had extensive discussions a year ago in London about
whether to continue to develop Firefox's own protocols, or whether to go
with what Chrome, Safari, and now Edge are using. We considered the
question on a tool-by-tool basis. Harald Kirschner has started to assemble
a list of the third-party tools that use the CDP.