Certain bits of the original post are getting more emphasis than I had
anticipated. Let me try to clarify why we in Devtools want this change or
something like it.

The primary goals here are not related to automation and testing. They are:

   - to allow Devtools to migrate the console and the JS debugger to the
   CDP;
   - to start a tools server that can be shared between Gecko and Servo;
   - to replace Gecko's devtools server, implemented in JS, with one
   implemented in Rust, to reduce memory consumption and introduce less noise
   into performance and memory measurements

and to help us share code with Servo. Our user interfaces already work with
the CDP.