On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 10:13 AM, Shubhie Panicker via dev-platform <
dev-platform@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

> Boris expressed privacy concern with the API and suggested starting a
> thread here to get some concrete feedback.

​It's great that you agreed to send this (and other client hints?) only
for​ secure connections.

I share Boris's concern that the buckets are too fine-grained. Are those
fine distinctions likely to matter to content producers compared to the
additional fingerprintability?  Of course if we implemented client hints we
could simply send less information, like 0.5, 1, and 2. Maybe 4 if some
sites really would send resources large enough to where that is an issue.
And I guess Firefox for Android claims to be able to run on a 384Mb device
so maybe 0.25 is a useful value as well.

Sending the info to 3rd party resources increases tracking risk, though I
suppose if we didn't sites could still pass the info along through URL
parameters.

I do not know what are plans are about Client Hints in general, whether we
intend to or when, and obviously that's a prerequisite.

-
​Dan Veditz​