So I think Martin, Peter, and I share similar concerns here, and I'm
inclined to turn those concerns into an objection to this charter.

So how does this sound for proposed comments on the charter
(submitted as a formal objection)?  Note that I've tried to turn the
comments into a specific suggestion for a remedy, but I'm far from
sure if that suggestion is the right one.

I've avoided mentioning the comment about "further changes" in the
specs that the existing working group has in CR, to avoid
distracting from what I think is the main piece.  But let me know if
you see a good way to work it in.

But I'd be particularly interested to hear if SC thinks this might
be harmful rather than helpful to the end goal for some reason, or
if he has other disagreements with this approach, or better
suggestions for what remedy we should suggest.

-David

=====

The current situation with the API developed by this Working Group
is that it is a API for a web page to interact with a connection
between the web browser and a separate screen that exists entirely
in a closed ecosystem.  For example, a browser made by Google might
connect to displays that support the proprietary Chromecast
protocol, whereas one made by apple might connect to displays that
support the proprietary AirPlay protocol.

We know that parts of an Open Screen Protocol are in an early stage
of development at https://github.com/webscreens/openscreenprotocol
(as linked from the charter), and the goal of this work is to
improve on this situation.  We hope it will allow for interoperable
discovery of, identification of, and communication with presentation
displays.  However, we're deeply concerned about chartering a second
iteration of the work that continues building the Presentation API
on top of a closed ecosystem, when the work to make the ecosystem
more open has a lower priority.  While we understand that the work
on building an open ecosystem still requires incubation, we believe
it should have the highest priority in this space.  We believe that
rechartering the Second Screen WG should wait until that work is
ready to be in a working group, and that advancing the current
specifications (developed under the existing charter) to Proposed
Recommendation probably depends on this new work in order to
demonstrate real interoperability, although we are open to other
paths toward fixing this situation.