FWIW, if you're running into this with the usecase "I have a localized string that needs to have links (or other markup) in it" and were formerly using getFormattedString combined with innerHTML, we now have a utility method that can help a little bit. Rather than hand-rolling splitting the string etc., on nightly you can use BrowserUtils.getLocalizedFragment as a replacement. Given a document, raw string (fetch using getString / GetStringFromName instead of the "formatted" APIs), and DOM nodes to insert, it'll produce a DocumentFragment that you can appendChild/insertBefore etc., take care of splitting your strings for you, and will work with both indexed (%1$S) and non-indexed (%S) replacement points in the localized string. In the further future, I expect this type of problem will go away entirely because of Fluent.

~ Gijs