I'm having trouble finding reliable information about the performance
of unaligned NEON memory access on ARMv7 phones.

What I can find is:

 * ARMv7 seems to allow unaligned access to be a trap-to-kernel kind
of performance disaster, but it's hard to find information about
whether the phone SoCs we care about are actually disastrous like
that.

 * On aarch64, unaligned access is the same instruction as aligned
access and gets dynamically penalized, but only minimally, if the
access crosses a cache line boundary. *Presumably* ARMv7 code running
on an ARMv8 core gets the same benefit.

Do we know what performance characteristics we can assume for
unaligned NEON loads/stores on Android phones that have ARMv7 cores
and recent enough Android that Fennec runs in the first place?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivo...@hsivonen.fi