On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 3:44 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivo...@hsivonen.fi> wrote:

> I'm having trouble finding reliable information about the performance
> of unaligned NEON memory access on ARMv7 phones.
>
> What I can find is:
>
>  * ARMv7 seems to allow unaligned access to be a trap-to-kernel kind
> of performance disaster, but it's hard to find information about
> whether the phone SoCs we care about are actually disastrous like
> that.
>
>  * On aarch64, unaligned access is the same instruction as aligned
> access and gets dynamically penalized, but only minimally, if the
> access crosses a cache line boundary. *Presumably* ARMv7 code running
> on an ARMv8 core gets the same benefit.
>
> Do we know what performance characteristics we can assume for
> unaligned NEON loads/stores on Android phones that have ARMv7 cores
> and recent enough Android that Fennec runs in the first place?

Is
http://fastcompression.blogspot.fr/2015/08/accessing-unaligned-memory.html
and/or the comments for MEM_FORCE_MEMORY_ACCESS at
https://github.com/facebook/zstd/blob/dev/lib/common/mem.h useful?

I could also introduce you to the zstandard developers if you think it
would be useful (compression often spends a large portion of its execution
time accessing and moving memory and I'm pretty sure they know arcane
memory access details like this). Reply privately if you want that
introduction.