On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 1:04 AM, L. David Baron <dba...@dbaron.org> wrote:
> The W3C is proposing a charter for:
>
>   JSON-LD Working Group
>   https://www.w3.org/2018/03/jsonld-wg-charter.html
>   https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-new-work/2018Mar/0004.html
>
> Mozilla has the opportunity to send comments or objections through
> Sunday, April 29.  (Sorry for failing to send this out sooner!)
>
> This is a charter to produce JSON-LD 1.1 (A JSON-based Serialization
> for Linked Data), which is a revision of JSON-LD 1.0, which was
> developed under the now-closed RDF Working Group.  The
> specifications proposed in a charter have been developed in a
> community group.
>
> Please reply to this thread if you think there's something we should
> say as part of this charter review, or if you think we should
> support or oppose it.

JSON-LD's compatibility with the RDF data model and the fundamental
principle that identifiers expand to URIs means that JSON-LD
perpetuates the fundamental ergonomic problem of RDF. All
serializations of RDF, JSON-LD included, try to take steps to
alleviate the visibility of the problem on the syntax level but none
can git rid of the problem on the data model layer (since they
subscribe to the fundamental principle that is the source of the
problem and don't break data model compatibility). Thus, code that
processes the formats either has to be unergonomic or incorrect. It's
bad to have specs that promote unergonomic or incorrect
implementations and especially the mutually-incompatible co-existence
of the two.

See https://hsivonen.fi/no-json-ns/ for an elaboration--especially the
epilog. JSON-LD evangelism, including the slides linked to from the
charter (slide 3), tends to be about selling the format by claiming
that developers can ignore the RDF/URI stuff (i.e. write code that's
incorrect in terms of the full processing model). The very last
section of https://hsivonen.fi/no-json-ns/ addresses this based on
experience from Web-scale formats.

For this reason, I think we should resist introducing dependencies on
JSON-LD in formats and APIs that are relevant to the Web Platform. I
think it follows that we should not support this charter. I expect
this charter to pass in any case, so I'm not sure us saying something
changes anything, but it might still be worth a try to register
displeasure about the prospect of JSON-LD coming into contact with
stuff that Web engines or people who make Web apps or sites need to
deal with and to register displeasure with designing formats whose
full processing model differs from how the format is evangelized to
developers (previously: serving XHTML as text/html while pretending to
get benefits of the XML processing model that way).

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivo...@hsivonen.fi