>On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 08:56:28AM -0700, Andrew McCreight wrote:
>>On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 3:57 AM, Emilio Cobos Álvarez <emi...@crisal.io>
>>wrote:
>>
>>> Just curious, is there a bug on file to measure excess capacity on
>>> nsTArrays and hash tables?
[snip]
>I kind of suspect that improving the storage efficiency of hashtables (and
>probably nsTArrays too) will have an out-sized effect on per-process
>memory. Just at startup, for a mostly empty process, we have a huge amount
>of memory devoted to hashtables that would otherwise be shared across a
>bunch of origins—enough that removing just 4 bytes of padding per entry
>would save 87K per process. And that number tends to grow as we populate
>caches that we need for things like layout and atoms.

Hash tables are a big issue.  There are a lot of 64K/128K/256K
allocations at the moment for hashtables.  When we started looking at
this in bug 1436250, we had a 256K, ~4 128K, and a whole bunch of 64K
hashtable allocs (on linux).  Some may be smaller or gone now, but it's
still big.

I wonder if it's worth the perf hit to realloc to exact size hash tables
that are build-once - probably.  hashtable->Finalize()?  (I wonder if
that would let us make any other memory/speed optimizations if we know
the table is now static.)

--
Randell Jesup, Mozilla Corp
remove "news" for personal email