On Fri, Aug 17, 2018, at 10:19 PM, Emilio Cobos Álvarez wrote:
> Adding support for general crates.io crates to be built this way and
> appear somewhere on the objdir seemed way more build system hackery than
> what I could do in a reasonable timeframe with my limited knowledge of
> the build system. So requiring the binary to be there was the easiest
> way I got it to work.
>
> That being said, if some build system peer is able to make something
> like that work, it'd be easy to switch to it if wanted.

No, don't do that. Running stuff before export is blocking almost everything in
the build process, and building anything nontrivial there would simply make the
build slower with no parallelism at all.

I'm actually thinking about pulling bindgen out from build-dependency and make
it use binary as well. bindgen was made a build-dependency and build in the
process because at that time, bindgen wasn't stable enough, and we usually need
to fix it for stylo to work. But these days we no longer do that a lot, so it
should be fine to just use prebuilt binary.

- Xidorn