I think there is value in supporting this API, both for web developers and
for us (e.g. in order to help us deprecate and remove APIs more easily).  I
the fact that the reports are exposed both to JS and HTTP layers means that
protecting only the HTTP layer against e.g. cross-origin access wouldn't be
sufficient since JS code can just as easily be used to send the same data
cross-origin at least for reports coming the same global.  What's not quite
clear to me is what kind of data this API would allow the page to access
which is currently hidden from it...

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 4:17 PM Andrea Marchesini <amarches...@mozilla.com>
wrote:

> There is a proposal to support "report-only" violations for feature policy:
>
> https://github.com/WICG/feature-policy/blob/824de86f89599240c24b5ae3cd58d25984446af5/reporting.md
>
> I think we should implement this API for these reasons:
>
> a. it unifies the reporting of violations and interventions. At the moment
> we have FeaturePolicy, Interventions, crashes and deprecated APIs, but it's
> easy to imagine reports coming from CSP violations, CORB, Origin-policy
> etc.
>
> b. Often, when an intervention is made, the only thing a browser does is to
> write a message in the console. autoplay heuristic and tracking protection
> are just 2 examples. Here we can do something more: we can communicate
> something to the page, using ReportingObserver.
>
> c. it's a nice diagnostic tool for websites. In the 'report-to' HTTP
> header, entry-points can be used as communication channel between the
> browser and the server.
>

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 5:25 PM Boris Zbarsky <bzbar...@mit.edu> wrote:
>
> > On 11/15/18 9:52 AM, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
> > > The idea is to use Feature Policy in report-only mode
> >
> > There is no report-only mode in the Feature Policy spec, nor in our
> > implementation.  See the note at the end of
> > https://wicg.github.io/feature-policy/#reporting
> >
> > So I'm back to my question: is this an API we actually want to
> > implement?  It seems like a fair amount of complexity and overhead and
> > the one use case so far is for sites to have telemetry for when they're
> > ending up with feature policy violations, right?
> >
> > -Boris

Ehsan