Hi

> On 21 Nov 2018, at 3:54 am, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> You will break the blame on VCS with this change
>
> Yes and no. Of course, just like many tree-wide mass changes in the past
> (e.g. the MPL2 header update), this will remain in the log.
>
> Mercurial and Git both support a -w argument to ignore whitespace with
> annotate/blame.
>
> In addition, modern versions of Mercurial have `hg annotate --skip
> <revset>` which allows you to specify a revset used to select revisions to
> skip over when annotating.
>
> Last but not least, we will tag the changeset’s commit message with
> “skip-blame” so that Mercurial would automatically ignore the reformat
> changeset for blame operations.

I’ve found the Google’s depot_tools hyper-blame particularly useful here.

It takes a .git-blame-ignore-revs file containing the list of commits to ignore.

$ cat .git-blame-ignore-revs
abd6d77c618998827e5ffc3dab12f1a34d6ed03d

That’s with Sylvestre single commit changing dom/media (hg SHA1:
0ceae9db9ec0be18daa1a279511ad305723185d4)

$ git clone https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/tools/depot_tools.git
$ export PATH=$PATH:$PWD/depot_tools

now git hyper-blame will behave in the same fashion as git blame, but ignore
that particular commit.

I’m guessing we could make this .git-blame-ignore-revs part of the tree,
assuming though everyone must use git-cinnabar.

Jean-Yves