On Fri, Mar 15, 2019, 15:39 Andreas Tolfsen <a...@sny.no> wrote:

> However, I want to talk a little bit about _why_ we see so many
> duplicate crates and what causes it.  It is my experience that far
> too many dependencies are defined on exact version numbers, e.g.
> "log = 0.3.9", which effectively forces us to vendor that exact
> version in-tree.

While I initially thought the same thing, this is not how Cargo's
dependencies work: 0.3.9 in this context means "everything
semver-compatible with 0.3.9", so 0.3.10 would be accepted in
this instance. However, 0.4.0 by definition is semver-incompatible with
0.3.x (that is, the normal incompatibility between 1.x and 2.y is moved one
component to the right if the first component is 0).