On Thursday 2019-08-29 13:23 -0500, Adam Roach wrote:
> Most of the deltas range from editorial to general good hygiene. The only
> changes of any real consequence that I see are:
>
>  * Updating their previous work to new versions
>  * Charter item to work on a profile of TTML2 to support audio-only use
>    cases
>  * Catch-all clause at the bottom of ยง2.1 that grants the WG carte
>    blanche to work on any random thing they want
>
> Having little background in this technology, I'm pretty ambivalent about the
> first two changes. I think we should object to the third change: charters
> serve both the guide work and limit scope, and this clause removes all scope
> limitations.

I would read that catch-all clause differently; I think it's
somewhat common in W3C charters, particularly for groups that have
existed for a while.  I don't think it allows the group to develop
specifications outside of their scope; it simply allows them to work
on deliverables *within their scope* that are other than the three
listed (for example, if they want to split a piece off of one of
them because they decide it belongs in a separate spec).

So I don't think it's grounds for an objection.

(I also think that if we haven't actually reviewed the charters from
a technical level of what we think should be happening, then it
might be better to *not* reply, to avoid suggesting that we have
done so.)

-David

> On 8/28/19 5:41 PM, L. David Baron wrote:
> > The W3C is proposing a revised charter for:
> >
> >    Timed Text (TT) Working Group
> >    https://www.w3.org/2019/08/ttwg-proposed-charter.html
> >    https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-new-work/2019Aug/0004.html
> >
> > The comparison to the group's previous charter is:
> >
> > https://services.w3.org/htmldiff?doc1=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2F2018%2F05%2Ftimed-text-charter.html&doc2=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2F2019%2F08%2Fttwg-proposed-charter.html
> >
> > Mozilla has the opportunity to send comments or objections through
> > Tuesday, September 10.
> >
> > Please reply to this thread if you think there's something we should
> > say as part of this charter review, or if you think we should
> > support or oppose it.
> >
> > -David

๐„ž   L. David Baron                         http://dbaron.org/   ๐„‚
๐„ข   Mozilla                          https://www.mozilla.org/   ๐„‚