On Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 12:47:27 PM UTC-7, Mats Palmgren wrote:
> On 10/17/19 8:12 PM, ikilpatr...@chromium.org wrote:
> > On Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 11:06:48 AM UTC-7, Mats Palmgren
> > wrote:
> >> As far as I know, we never constrain new CSS features to secure
> >> contexts. At least not on the property/value level.
> >
> > According to
> > https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2018/01/15/secure-contexts-everywhere/
> > you should be?
> >
> > "Effective immediately, all new features that are web-exposed are to be
> > restricted to secure contexts. Web-exposed means that the feature is
> > observable from a web page or server, whether through JavaScript, CSS,
> > HTTP, media formats, etc."
>
> True, but we have never applied that policy for CSS features
> as far as I know.  Just recently we've added 'column-span',
> the ::marker pseudo, new 'display' syntax with values like
> 'inline list-item', 'block ruby' etc, 'clip-path: path()',
> and a long list of other CSS features since 2018.

These features (broadly speaking) are different however. According to the above
policy:
"Exceptions to requiring secure contexts"
" - other browsers already ship the feature insecurely"

Most (all?) of the non-trivial features above have shipped in other browsers
insecurely before shipping in Firefox, hence the above exception applies.

"subgrid" is different as Firefox is shipping this feature first.

> As far as I know we don't even have a mechanism that I could
> have used to restrict subgrid to secure contexts.  And to be
> clear: I have no intention of blocking subgrid on waiting for
> such a mechanism.

This should just involve passing a isSecureContext flag into the your CSS
parser?

> > Or does the policy wrong and needs to be updated?
>
> Maybe, but that's not for me to decide.
>
> The issue you raise is a good one, but it's not really related
> to subgrid specifically.  Perhaps it would be better if you
> start a new thread regarding how that policy applies (or not)
> to CSS features in general?

See above - I believe it actually is only related to this feature, as it is
shipping in Firefox first.

Given this shouldn't a "...Mozilla’s Distinguished Engineers to judge the
outcome..."?