Hi all,

HTTP/3 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-quic-http-32> is a new
protocol based on QUIC (a UDP-based transport protocol) (the QUIC drafts: 1
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-quic-transport-32>, 2
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-quic-tls-32>, 3
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-quic-recovery-32>). The protocol
offers:

   -

   Better security (it always uses TLS 1.3
   <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8446>),
   -

   Request multiplexing without head of line blocking (this is the main
   limitation of HTTP/2),
   -

   Reduces request latency by allowing clients to send a request to an
   already-visited server with zero connection setup delay,
   -

   Uses modern loss detection and recovery mechanisms,
   -

   Enable a long-lived connection to migrate across different network paths
   (currently not available in our implementation).

Our implementation is ready for testing. Please try it out:

   -

   update Nightly to the newest version
   -

   go to about:config and set the "network.http.http3.enabled” to true
   -

   a restart is not needed

If you find any issue please file a bug under the Core::Networking::Http
component (Bugzilla link
<https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Core&component=Networking%3A+HTTP>
)

HTTP/3 will be discovered using AltSvc <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7838>
header and frame, therefore Firefox needs to establish a TCP connection and
use HTTP/2 or older version first before discovering HTTP/3. Whether the
protocol is used can be seen in DevTools (a request protocol version will
be HTTP/3) and in about:networking. Some major sites already support
HTTP/3, e.g. google, facebook and youtube.

Our HTTP/3 library is called neqo (“Nee-ko”). The repo can be found here
<https://github.com/mozilla/neqo>. It uses NSS cryptography library. It is
written in Rust which helps make it high performance, reduces the lines of
source code needed, and lowers the potential for bugs leading to security
vulnerabilities.

I am looking forward to your feedback,

Dragana