On 1/28/2014 4:37 PM, Brian Smith wrote :
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 4:25 PM, Kathleen Wilson <kwil...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>> DigiCert has applied to include 5 new root certificates that will eventually
>> replace the 3 DigiCert root certificates that were included in NSS via bug
>> #364568. The request is to turn on all 3 trust bits and enable EV for all of
>> the new root certs.
>>
>> 1) DigiCert Assured ID Root G2 -- This SHA-256 root will eventually replace
>> the SHA-1 “DigiCert Assured ID Root CA” certificate.
>>
>> 2) DigiCert Assured ID Root G3 -- The ECC version of the Assured ID root.
>>
>> 3) DigiCert Global Root G2 -- This SHA-256 root will eventually replace the
>> SHA-1 “DigiCert Global Root CA” certificate.
>>
>> 4) DigiCert Global Root G3 -- The ECC version of the Global root.
>>
>> 5) DigiCert Trusted Root G4 -- This SHA-384 root will eventually replace the
>> SHA-1 “DigiCert High Assurance EV Root CA” certificate.
>
> I object, only on the grounds that there is no technical need to have
> more than one root. I have a counter-proposal:
>
> 1. Add DigiCert Trusted Root G4 with all three trust bits set.
> 2. Ask DigiCert to issue versions of their intermediates that are
> signed/issued by "DigiCert Trusted Root G4".
> 3. Remove the existing DigiCert roots.
> 4. Preload all the intermediates signed by DigiCert Trusted Root G4
> (with no trust bits, so they inherit trust from DigiCert Trusted Root
> G4) into NSS.
>
> Benefits of my counter-proposal:
> 1. Fewer roots for us to manage.
> 2. Sites that forget to include their intermediates in their TLS cert
> chain are more likely to work in Firefox, without us having to do AIA
> caIssuers, because of us preloading the intermediates.
> 3. Because of #1, there is potential for us to design a simpler root
> certificate management UI.
> 4. We can do optimizations with the preloading of intermediates to
> avoid building the whole chain every time. (That is, we can
> precalculate the trust of the intermediates.)
>
> This would set a good precedent for us to follow with all other CAs.
> By working with all CAs to do something similar, we would end up with
> one root per CA, and with a bunch of preloaded intermediates. Then we
> can separate the view of intermediates from the view of roots in the
> UI, and the UI will become much simpler.
>
> Cheers,
> Brian

I do not consider "Benefit #2" to be a benefit.  This would mean that
Mozilla is enabling poor security practices by allowing server
administrators to be lazy and incompetent -- allowing them to tell users
their browsing session is secure while the server is incompletely
configured.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

On occasion, I filter and ignore all newsgroup messages
posted through GoogleGroups via Google's G2/1.0 user agent
because of spam, flames, and trolling from that source.