From: Ryan Sleevi
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 9:06 PM
To: fhw...@gmail.com
Reply To: ryan-mozdevsecpol...@sleevi.com
Cc: dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Re: Chromium, EV, and CT

On Tue, August 12, 2014 6:49 pm, fhw...@gmail.com wrote:
> Does Mozilla have a stated plan to include CT in its products?

This is a separate discussion, and doesn't affect the ability of Mozilla
using of CT logs to detect violations of Mozilla's inclusion policy.

Obviously, CT in the client would be a win, but I think that even without
such a plan in place, the CT logs provide a valuable tool in ensuring
compliance, something that's unfortunately been lacking.

> The issues Ben lists sound like reasonable concerns but it seems this is
> putting the cart before the horse. The linchpin of CT is being able to
> tur‎n on hard-fail when the SCT is missing or doesn't agree with the
> logs--or whatever the case may be.
>
> I promise you that CT hard-fail ‎will never happen because it requires
> CA's to be competent (some of whom genuinely are) or end entity cert
> holders to be interested (some of whom genuinely are) or both. It's just
> not the reality when you have a massive and complicated website deployment
> that people can or will be interested. There are too many moving pieces as
> it is.
> ‎
> Should Chrome activate hard-fail you will start to hear people say, "that
> site doesn't work on Chrome for some reason, just use Firefox or Safari or
> IE".

As always, we welcome your feedback. However, this doesn't seem to
relevant to the question/discussion at hand, nor does your potential
future meaningfully affect the factors that weighing CT implementation.

As it stands, both Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome have shown that it is
possible to improve the CA ecosystem over time, and with appropriate
signals. Similarly, other efforts, such as
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2014/08/https-as-ranking-signal.html
or new features such as ServiceWorker
http://jakearchibald.com/2014/service-worker-first-draft/ , and normative
requirements such as
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-14#section-9.2 , show
that there are still opportunities to help encourage sites to adopt
stronger security practices.

However, that's all neither here nor there. This isn't and wasn't a post
about hard-fail CT, but how CT can help Mozilla better regulate it's
policies, and the interest in the community of being able to freely and
transparently audit CAs to such conformance. Thus assume, if you will, a
"perfect" world where CT was required and embraced by CAs. Would we want
these features? Whether yea or nay, best to answer on ct-policy@.