On 2 April 2015 at 03:49,  <c.le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be a golden opportunity for Chinese gov to push for a "home-grown
> browser that is not under the control of western imperialism governments" for
> sure.

You mean 360 Browser? Hard to get good statistics it seems, but there
are reports of it being pretty darn popular:
http://www.chinainternetwatch.com/8757/top-web-browsers-china/
(It also does not validate certificates:
https://cabforum.org/pipermail/public/2015-April/005441.html ,
although that is a discussion for another list)

I guess I missed the cutoff for the decision, but I am supportive of
removing CNNIC entirely and whitelisting existing certificiates
issued. As others have said, I am nervous the plans of simply
enforcing a cutoff date and asking the community to detect misissuance
will not be a sufficient detection mechanism for misissuance. Unless
I'm mistaken, despite all the efforts in detecting misissuance
(Perspectives, Decentralized Observatory, HPKP reporting, etc) - all
recent misissued certificates were found via Chrome's PKP in Chrome.
The "community" does not have a good track record on this.

-tom