On 12/2/15 11:13 AM, Peter Kurrasch wrote:
I don't so much have a problem with the change but I would like to know if this
is fairly common across other cert issuers?

‎Personally I'm of the opinion that email is inherently insecure which makes it
a bad mechanism to use in the course of trying to establish trust. However, my
concern at the moment is the use of privacy services to obscure the actual
owner/registrar of the domain. I see no reason to believe such services are any
more trustworthy than the email channel. In fact it seems to me that those
services are the weakest link in the chain.

The implication is that only method 1, below, should be employed. However, if
everyone else is also employing method 2 I don't want to single out SECOM
unfairly.

Copied from the Baseline Requirements (note #2 and #4)...
~
3.2.2.4. Authorization by Domain Name Registrant
For each Fully‐Qualified Domain Name listed in a Certificate, the CA SHALL confirm that, as of the date the Certificate was issued, the Applicant (or the Applicant’s Parent Company, Subsidiary Company, or Affiliate, collectively referred to as “Applicant” for the purposes of this section) either is the Domain Name Registrant or has control over the FQDN by: 1. Confirming the Applicant as the Domain Name Registrant directly with the Domain Name Registrar; 2. Communicating directly with the Domain Name Registrant using an address, email, or telephone number provided by the Domain Name Registrar; 3. Communicating directly with the Domain Name Registrant using the contact information listed in the WHOIS record’s “registrant”, “technical”, or “administrative” field; 4. Communicating with the Domain’s administrator using an email address created by pre‐pending ‘admin’, ‘administrator’, ‘webmaster’, ‘hostmaster’, or ‘postmaster’ in the local part, followed by the at‐sign (“@”), followed by the Domain Name, which may be formed by pruning zero or more components from the requested FQDN;
5. Relying upon a Domain Authorization Document;
6. Having the Applicant demonstrate practical control over the FQDN by making an agreed‐upon change to information found on an online Web page identified by a uniform resource identifier containing the FQDN; or 7. Using any other method of confirmation, provided that the CA maintains documented evidence that the method of confirmation establishes that the Applicant is the Domain Name Registrant or has control over the FQDN to at least the same level of assurance as those methods previously described.