From: Rob Stradling [mailto:rob.stradl...@comodo.com]
Sent: Friday, March 4, 2016 2:20 PM
To: Jeremy Rowley
Cc: mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org; sanjay_m...@symantec.com
Subject: Re: More SHA-1 certs

On 04/03/16 04:18, Jeremy Rowley wrote:
> If you recall, the fact that pre-certs are out of scope of the BRs was one of
> the reasons against putting them into the BRs in the first place. The
> decision to add them was to assist CAs who may have an overly strict reading
> on scope considering the very loose language originally used: "These
> Requirements only address Certificates intended to be used for authenticating
> servers accessible through the Internet." The fact the BRs mention a document
> out of scope is not evidence of an intent to include them given the history
> of that particular language.
>
> Other comments:
> "CT assists with "authenticating servers accessible through the Internet",
> because it helps detect misissued certs.  When CT is enforced, you can have
> increased confidence that the server you've connected to is indeed
> "authentic"."
>   - Intending to assist is NOT the same thing as actually intending to
> authenticate servers accessible through the Internet.

Neither certificates nor precertificates authenticate servers.  Signed blobs of
data don't do anything!  It's the TLS client code that actually authenticates
the server.

So, IMHO, if precertificates are out of scope, then certificates are out of
scope too.

> "I think it's clear that precertificates _are_ "intended to be used for
> authenticating servers accessible through the Internet" and that they are
> in-scope for the BRs."
> - Completely disagree. I think it's clear they are NOT in scope...

We'll have to agree to disagree then.

> but I would (as always) support a ballot to fix this. The BR scope is
> terrible and really should be remedied.

+1.  Let's make it so that there's no reason to disagree!

> It's been a plague for over a year. I'm 100% supportive of any
> proposal to include precerts and fix the language,

IIRC, all previous proposals for fixing the BR scope have focused on features
of the end-entity certificate profile.  That's proved to be problematic,
because some CAs want/need to issue certs that could technically be used for
server authentication even though that's not the intent (e.g. Subject.CN is
included and EKU is required to be anyEKU).

Maybe we need to take a different approach that ignores the end-entity
certificate profile completely.  How about we propose that...

   - An X.509 certificate is in scope for the BRs if it's signed by an Issuing
CA that is in scope.

   - An Issuing CA is in scope if:
     i) it chains to a Root Certificate that is trusted for server
authentication
     and
     ii) there's no EKU "constraint" in that chain that excludes server
authentication.
     and
     iii) it hasn't been whitelisted by browsers as "out of scope".

?

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist
COMODO - Creating Trust Online
Office Tel: +44.(0)1274.730505
Office Fax: +44.(0)1274.730909
www.comodo.com

COMODO CA Limited, Registered in England No. 04058690
Registered Office:
   3rd Floor, 26 Office Village, Exchange Quay,
   Trafford Road, Salford, Manchester M5 3EQ

addressed.  If you have received this email in error please notify the
sender by replying to the e-mail containing this attachment. Replies to
this email may be monitored by COMODO for operational or business
reasons. Whilst every endeavour is taken to ensure that e-mails are free
from viruses, no liability can be accepted and the recipient is
requested to use their own virus checking software.