On 04/03/16 23:14, Matt Palmer wrote:
On Fri, Mar 04, 2016 at 09:19:36PM +0000, Rob Stradling wrote:
Maybe we need to take a different approach that ignores the end-entity
certificate profile completely.  How about we propose that...

   - An X.509 certificate is in scope for the BRs if it's signed by an
Issuing CA that is in scope.

   - An Issuing CA is in scope if:
     i) it chains to a Root Certificate that is trusted for server
authentication

You'll want to describe *who* trusts the root.

Hi Matt. I thought somebody might point that out. Sorry for my handwaviness. ;-)

"*who* trusts" is indeed important, but it wasn't the aspect of the scope problem I was trying to solve with my previous post.

I trust lots of private PKI
roots for server authentication in my own gear, but they're never going
mainstream.

Perhaps "it chains to a Root Certificate that is trusted, or is intended to
be trusted, by one or more Browser members of the CA/Browser Forum for
server authentication"?  The "intended to be trusted" is to make sure that
candidates for browser trust programs know they're on the hook, too.

- Matt

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist