On 9/11/16, Nick Lamb <tialara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, 11 September 2016 21:05:12 UTC+1, Lee  wrote:
>> does dns hijacking or dns cache poisoning count as mitm?
>
> A careful CA validator does DNS only by making authoritative queries, so
> they're not subject to cache poisoning since they don't look at cached
> answers.

Would a not careful CA be flagged on their yearly audit?

> I think a successful DNS hijack against a CA validator would constitute a
> MITM except in the case where the attacker is straight up subverting the
> legitimate name owner's real systems. In /that/ case even DNSSEC doesn't
> necessarily help you, if they've subverted your systems they can give out
> DNS answers that check out as signed OK but say whatever they wish.
>
> In the former case DNSSEC would protect you, and I agree that where it has
> been deployed CA validators should check it, but in a world where there are
> still login HTML forms with no HTTPS behind them, how surprised are we
> supposed to be that people don't all have DNSSEC for their domains ?

Me personally?  Not at all.  I'm just asking if they _do_ have DNSSEC
for their domains is there a way to leverage that to get a cert via an
encrypted channel or at least do the domain validation via an
encrypted channel instead of using email or tcp port 80?

Regards,
Lee