Remember the DigiNotar incident? At the time, I thought that pulling the
DigiNotar roots was exactly the right thing to do. I didn't say so as it
isn't proper for people to be suggesting putting their competitors out of
business. But I thought it the right thing to do.

Not long after I was sitting in a conference at NIST listening to a talk on
how shutting down DigiNotar had shut down the port of Amsterdam and left
meat rotting on the quays etc. Ooops.

The WebPKI is a complicated infrastructure that is used in far more ways
than any of us is aware of. And when it was being developed it wasn't clear
what the intended scope of use was. So it isn't very surprising that it has
been used for a lot of things like point of sale terminals etc.

It is all very well saying that people shouldn't have done these things
after the facts are known. But right now, I don't see any program in place
telling people in the IoT space what they should be doing for devices that
can't be upgraded in the field.

None of the current browser versions support SHA-1. Yes, people could in
theory turn it back on for some browsers but that isn't an argument because
the same people can edit their root store themselves as well. Yes people
are still using obsolete versions of Firefox etc. but do we really think
that SHA-1 is the weakest point of attack?

If digest functions are so important, perhaps the industry should be
focusing on deployment of SHA-3 as a backup in case SHA-2 is found wanting
in the future.