On 07/11/16 13:11, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> Not long after I was sitting in a conference at NIST listening to a talk on
> how shutting down DigiNotar had shut down the port of Amsterdam and left
> meat rotting on the quays etc. Ooops.

Sounds like someone got a lesson in single points of failure, cert
agility and so on. Let's hope they took it.

I'm not sure I totally understand your point. You are saying that it's
not reasonable to eliminate SHA-1 from the publicly trusted hierarchies
entirely because there are devices out there which are not going to be
upgraded and which don't support SHA-256, and further that these devices
are not web devices and so we shouldn't be purporting to control their
crypto?

> None of the current browser versions support SHA-1.

Yes, they do. They won't as of January 2017.

> If digest functions are so important, perhaps the industry should be
> focusing on deployment of SHA-3 as a backup in case SHA-2 is found wanting
> in the future.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/black-or-white . This is not either/or.

Gerv