Hi Kathleen,

On 15/11/16 00:51, Kathleen Wilson wrote:
> There were some recommendations to deny this request due to the
> versioning problems between the English documents and the original
> documents.
>
> Do you all still feel that is the proper answer to this root
> inclusion request?

As I understand it, what happened was as follows:

* As part of their application, GDCA provided both Chinese and English
versions of their CP/CPS, posted to m.d.s.policy on 3rd August:

Chinese CP: http://www.gdca.com.cn/cp/cp
Chinese CPS: http://www.gdca.com.cn/cps/cps
English CP: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=8650346
English CPS: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=8688749

(I don't immediately have URLs for their EV CP and CPS in Chinese or
English from the original submission.)

* On 26th September, it was pointed out by Andrew Whalley that the
English versions had lower version numbers than the Chinese versions
(CP: 1.2 vs. 1.4; CPS: 4.1 vs 4.3)

* On 27th September, one day later, GDCA provided new English versions
with the same version numbers as the Chinese versions:

CP V1.4: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=8795090
CPS V4.3: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=8795091
EV CP V1.2: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=8795093
EV CPS V1.3: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=8795094

* It was pointed out by more than one person that there were significant
content differences between the English and Chinese versions which were
both labelled with the same version number

* GDCA said this was due to a "poor CP/CPS English translation" and on
28th October, provided new English versions (again) with the same
version numbers

CP: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=8805543
CPS: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=8805545
EV CP: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=8805546
EV CPS: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=8805547

What Mozilla has to decide is whether this was incompetence or malice.
Were GDCA trying to hide something? If so, their inclusion must be in
doubt. If they were not trying to hide something and just need a lesson
in version control, that is not necessarily something which
disqualifies, although it does give one concern.

Looking at the CPS (using pdf2txt and diff), the differences between the
originally-submitted v4.1 and the first 4.3 are very minor. One
intermediate certificate changes name throughout, as does the name of
GDCA. Three certs in an appendix are replaced with others. Other than
that, the only changes are these:

https://gist.github.com/gerv/fc311785c49c7fdfdfba78d6d5ad4aa9

This seems like an odd change, removing specificity about how domain
validation is done. This change was _added_ to the Chinese version of
3.2.5 between 4.1 and 4.2, and moved to section 3.2.7 in version 4.3. So
how does going from 4.1 to 4.3 in the English version lead to it being
removed?

The differences between the first 4.3 and the second one are much more
extensive.

So I'd say the questions for GDCA are these:

* When you were asked to produce a version of your CPS matching Chinese
version 4.3, within a day you came up with:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=8795091
That clearly doesn't match Chinese version 4.3, and yet it has "version
4.3" written in it. And the effective date marked within it is one month
_earlier_ than the effective date of the Chinese 4.3. How did this
happen? How did such a document come to exist with such a version number
and date attached, when it is so massively different from the real 4.3,
and so similar to the previous 4.1?

* You say you only translated the relevant bits rather than all of it,
which is why there is a discrepancy, but the diff between 4.1 and the
first version of 4.3 reveals no additions, only one deletion. How does
that fit?

Gerv