Hi Brian,

On 18/11/16 19:13, Brian Smith wrote:
> Regardless, the main point of that message of mine was left out: You could
> limit, in policy and in code, the acceptable lifetime of name-constrained
> externally-operated sub-CAs

Presumably the "externally-operated" part would need to be policy, or a
code-detectable marker enforced by policy, because there's no way of
detecting that otherwise?

> and/or the end-entity certificates they issue
> strictly, independently of whether it can be done for all certificates, and
> doing so would be at least part of the solution to making name-constrained
> externally-operated sub-CAs actually a viable alternative in the market.

I'm not sure what you mean by "a viable alternative" - I thought the
concern was to stop them proliferating, if what's underneath them was
opaque? And if it's not opaque, why are they not a viable alternative
now, and why would restricting their capabilities make them _more_ viable?

Sorry to be lost,

Gerv