Nick Lamb <tialara...@gmail.com> writes:

>In practice then I think we should try to ask local experts (ie people at
>least resident in the relevant country) when trying to judge whether the
>Locality and State elements of a Subject DN are acceptable for identifying
>the actual Subject unless it is very obvious (as with the 'test' example)
>that they are could not be.

I don't even think we need to do that, particularly as certs are used on the
web.  The only thing that matters there is the name of the resource it's bound
to, e.g. web server name, mail server name, whatever.  So you pay attention to
the CN (or altName equivalent), and the rest is irrelevant.

For the little other use that certs get, the government body that's     behind
their use (or, occasionally, a corporate) decides what goes in each of the DN
components.  They define the use, and typically issue the certs, so they can
specify whatever they want for the DN.

It's been like this for 20-odd years now, I don't see any great need to change
it.  Sure, X.500 doesn't work, but people are pretty adaptable.

Peter.