The EV Guidelines require certificates issued for .onion include the
cabf-TorServiceDescriptor extension, defined in the EV Guidelines, as part of
these certificates. This is required by Section 11.7.1 (1) of the EV
Guidelines, reading: "For a Certificate issued to a Domain Name with .onion in
the right-most label of the Domain Name, the CA SHALL confirm that, as of the
date the Certificate was issued, the Applicant’s control over the .onion Domain
Name in accordance with Appendix F. "

The intent was to prevent collisions in .onion names due to the use of a
truncated SHA-1 hash collision with distinct keys, as that would allow two
parties to respond on the hidden service address using the same key.

Last week, a SHA-1 collision was announced.

In examining the .onion precertificates DigiCert has logged, available at
https://crt.sh/?q=facebookcorewwwi.onion , I could not find a single one
bearing this extension, which suggests these are all misissued certificates and
violations of the EV Guidelines.

During a past discussion of precertificates, at
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/siHOXppxE9k/0PLPVcktBAAJ
 ,  Mozilla did not discuss whether or not it considered precertificates
misissuance, although one module peer (hi! it's me!) suggested they were.

This interpretation seems consistent with the discussions during the WoSign
issues, as some of those certificates examined were logged precertificates.

Have I missed something in examining these certificates? Am I correct that they
appear to be violations?