On Friday, 21 April 2017 11:02:01 UTC+1, Gervase Markham  wrote:
> This is all a bit inchoate :-) Can you give me any idea at all of what
> such a policy would look like? Requiring OV is not an option IMO.

Yes, it's inchoate, if I had a fully filled out policy in mind here I'd be
proposing that policy, rather than expressing my concern that just removing
this from the problematic list isn't solving a real problem.

I have no interest in requiring OV for wildcards. The two things have nothing
to do with each other, so that wouldn't make any sense.

Of the ballot 169 methods, 3.2.2.4.7 is most obviously appropriate for
verifying that the applicant controls the entire domain and thus *.example.com,
whereas say 3.2.2.4.6 proves only that the applicant controls a web server, it
seems quite likely they have neither the legal authority nor the practical
ability to control servers with other names in that domain. I can see arguments
either way for 3.2.2.4.4, depending on how well email happens to be
administrated in a particular organisation.

That adds up to an opportunity for someone to get a nasty surprise, one rogue
employee at a cheap shared host can turn their ability to pass 3.2.2.4.6 for a
brochureware site on www.example.com into a working *.example.com wildcard that
can MitM SMTP, HTTPS-based APIs, VPNs, any sort of TLS traffic at all into any
name in example.com.