On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 9:48 AM, Peter Kurrasch <fhw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Suppose I want to set up a system to be used for spam, malware
> distribution, and phishing but, naturally, I want to operate undetected.
> First step is to find a (legitimate) server that is already set up and is
> not well secured. Without getting bogged down in the details, let's just
> assume I can find such a server and I'm able to obtain access to the admin
> panel or a command line/shell that controls it. With this access, let's
> also just assume I'm able to obtain the certificate and private key data
> that the legitimate site owner is using.

You can stop here. Once you've done that, it's game over for any subdomains
as it stands. Wildcard certs are a red herring. If you've got file control
on the server, or can demonstrate control of the base, you can get the
subdomains.

That's the weak link in your attack model, and for that to change, it will
at least require some action on the CA/Browser Forum to restrict the
file-based controls or 'practical demonstration of control'. If you just
compromise the server/key, you've compromise every subdomain, as it stands
today. That's not because of wildcards. That's because of the CA/Browser
Forum.

> Granted, there is a healthy amount of hand waving in this illustration and
> frankly there are situations where other attack methods are more
> advantageous for any number of reasons. That said, the point I am hoping to
> make is that a wildcard certificate opens up possibilities for me as the
> bad guy that I might not have otherwise.

Right, not really, because above :)

> Again, I'll be the first to admit this is perhaps not the best
> illustration of the risks posed by wildcard certs but hopefully it's at
> least good enough. I don't think the above is a major problem today but if
> the desire is make wildcard certs ubiquitous (?), I hope people will at
> least think twice.

I appreciate your threat modelling of this space, but I think it's
operating on incomplete understanding of what the reasonable security
boundary is, but also tries to rely on certificates as a spam/phishing
protection, of which they most certainly are not :)