On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 11:31 AM, Gervase Markham via dev-security-policy <
> On 01/05/17 07:52, Percy wrote:
>> It seems that StartCom continues to sell untrusted certs. Neither their
home page https://www.startcomca.com/ nor their announcement page
https://www.startcomca.com/index/news mentions that those certs are not
trusted.

> Why is this something that Mozilla should be concerned with?
>
> "Selling untrusted certs" is not a crime, or a violation of any
> standard. Mozilla is not the global authority on what certificates may
> be issued. If StartCom are providing certificates which do not do what
> their customers expect, I'm sure those customers will let them know
> about it soon enough.

What StartCom claims about compatibility is potentially more
Mozilla-relevant than what they are silent about. At the bottom of their
front page, it says "StartComâ„¢ / StartSSLâ„¢is supported by:" followed by
icons. The icons include an early icon for Camino and the SeaMonkey icon.
Since Camino was discontinued before Mozilla's change in trust in StartCom
certificates, I guess having Camino there isn't technically incorrect, but
is about as relevant as having the Flock icon there. However, is it correct
to have the SeaMonkey icon there? The latest SeaMonkey release seems to
post-date the Mozilla root program's trust change in StartCom certificates.
(But then, it seems that there have been a number of Firefox ESR security
patch releases that post-date the SeaMonkey release. Is SeaMonkey still
active, despite appearing not to ship Gecko security updates, and does
SeaMonkey implement the same trust special-casing as Firefox? It seems to
produce nightlies still.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivo...@hsivonen.fi