Cory, from your point of view is there interest in being able to tell Requests
"I want the no-compromises trust store" and accept a reduced compatibility in
exchange for knowing that you're a little safer ?

Right now, as a programmer I have three choices with Requests:

Verify=True: The default, the store you've described, based on NSS but lacking
its nuance, will be used to perform verification of host certificates

Verify='/a/filename': I must maintain my own trust store, which is a huge pain
in the backside.

Verify=False: All verification is switched off. Here be dragons.

In Firefox there is no interest in making users lives more complicated by
introducing more decisions. But a programmer writing code with Requests and
getting as far as reading the documentation for certifi already _does_ care
about these decisions. I'm sure the same is true for programmers in other
environments.

In contrast to the idea of trying to get other clients to implement all the
nuances of Firefox's graduated trust, my idea here is to promote the option of
deliberately distrusting CAs entirely in these clients, ahead of any such
extreme sanction from Mozilla in Firefox. Mozilla could decide (or not) to add
an advisory mark when putting in place a graduated trust and this would mean
the maintenance burden to offer both an ordinary and a "no-compromise" trust
store with something like Requests would be minimal, just
verify=certifi.I_HATE_FUN or whatever.