On 2017-Jun-27, 13:49 , "dev-security-policy on behalf of Gervase Markham via
dev-security-policy" wrote:

    On 27/06/17 10:35, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
    > For example, one possible suggestion is to adopt a scheme similar to, or
    > identical to, Microsoft's authroot.stl, which is PKCS#7, with attributes
    > for indicating age and expiration, and the ability to extend with
    > vendor-specific attributes as needed. One perspective would be to say that
    > Mozilla should just use this work.

    That's one option. I would prefer something which is both human and
    computer-readable, as certdata.txt (just about) is.

One possibility would be to look at the Trust Anchor Management Protocol (TAMP
- RFC5934). It uses CMS, which would give you the flexibility to define usages
and signed attributes, but it might not land well in terms of human
readability, I don’t know. Ryan Hurst over at Google pointed us in that
direction and mentioned he was looking at that for his tl-create tool
(https://github.com/PeculiarVentures/tl-create), so it might be worth a look.
An open standard like that might also allay concerns over something more
proprietary like STL.

--
Jos Purvis (jopur...@cisco.com)
.:|:.:|:. cisco systems  | Cryptographic Services