On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 13:53:52 -0700
Peter Bowen via dev-security-policy
<dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 9, 2017 at 1:50 PM, Andrew Ayer <a...@andrewayer.name>
> wrote:
> >
> > drill is buggy and insecure.  Obviously, such implementations can
> > be found.  Note that drill is just a "debugging/query" tool, not a
> > resolver you would actually use in production.  You'll find that the
> > production-grade resolver from that family (unbound) correctly
> > reports an error when you try to query the CAA record for
> > refused.caatestsuite-dnssec.com: https://unboundtest.com/
>
> Just as I received this, I finished testing with unbound, to see what
> it does.  See the results below.  For your blackhole, servfail, and
> refused cases it clearly says insecure, not bogus.

That is very clearly against RFC4033, which says defines Insecure as:

        The validating resolver has a trust anchor, a chain
        trust, and, at some delegation point, signed proof of the
        non-existence of a DS record.  This indicates that subsequent
        branches in the tree are provably insecure.  A validating resolver
        may have a local policy to mark parts of the domain space as
        insecure.

There is no "signed proof of the non-existence of a DS record" for
blackhole, servfail, and refused, so it cannot possibly be insecure.

Regards,
Andrew