[ Also at
https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2017/10/31/statement-digicerts-proposed-purchase-symantec/
]

Mozilla’s Root Store Program has taken the position that trust is not
automatically transferable between organizations. This is specifically
stated in section 8 of our Root Store Policy v2.5[0], which details how
Mozilla handles transfers of root certificates between organizations.
Mozilla has taken an interest in such transfers, and there is the
potential for trust adjustments based on the particular circumstances.

The CA DigiCert has announced that it is in negotiations to acquire the
CA business of Symantec[1]. This announcement was made following the
decision of Mozilla and other root store programs to phase out trust in
Symantec’s root certificates[2], based on a detailed investigation[3] of
their old and large CA hierarchies and their behaviour and practices
over the past few years. There are no plans to change this phase-out of
trust in the roots owned by Symantec.

While Mozilla does not intend to micro-manage any CA, the final
arrangements for management and processes and infrastructure to be used
by the combined company is of interest and potential concern to us. It
would not be appropriate for a CA to escape root program sanction by
restructuring, or by purchasing another CA through M&A and continuing
operations under that CA’s name, essentially unchanged. And examination
of historical corporate merger and acquisition activity, including deals
involving Symantec, show that it’s possible for an M&A billed as the
“purchase of B by A” to end up with name A and yet be mostly managed by
the executives of B.

Representatives of DigiCert have sought guidance from us on the type of
arrangements which would and would not cause us concern. In a good faith
effort to answer that enquiry, we can make the following, non-exhaustive
statements of what would cause Mozilla concern.

* We would be concerned if the combined company continued to operate
  significant pieces of Symantec’s old infrastructure as part of their
  day-to-day issuance of publicly-trusted certificates.

* We would be concerned if Symantec validation and operations personnel
  continued their roles without retraining in DigiCert methods and
  culture.

* We would be concerned if Symantec processes appeared to displace
  DigiCert processes.

* We would be concerned if the management of the combined company,
  particularly that part of it providing technical and policy direction
  and oversight of the PKI, were to appear as if Symantec were the
  controlling CA organization in the merger.

We hope that this provides useful guidance about our concerns, and note
that our final opinion of the trustworthiness of the resulting entity
will depend on the facts and behavior of the resulting organization.
Mozilla reserves the right to include or exclude organizations or root
certificates from our root store at our sole discretion. However, if the
M&A activity moves forward, we hope that the list above will be helpful
to DigiCert in planning for a future harmonious working relationship
with the Mozilla Root Program.

Gervase Markham
Kathleen Wilson

[0] http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/certs/policy/