+1
imho that would be the best idea, and the local/non-local check should happen
inside the same PKI-validation logic flow that is used for certificate
validation.

If the url resource resolves to local IP addresses then only reserved names
from
https://cabforum.org/wp-content/uploads/Guidance-Deprecated-Internal-Names.pdf
should be allowed to continue with the certificate validation logic.

I think that would be the best approach that also allows continued use of
internal names for local ip addresses.

Adrian R.