BTW - this certificate was revoked.

-----Original Message-----
From: dev-security-policy
[mailto:dev-security-policy-bounces+jeremy.rowley=digicert.com@lists.mozilla
.org] On Behalf Of Mark Steward via dev-security-policy
Sent: Friday, December 29, 2017 11:30 AM
To: Matthew Hardeman <mharde...@gmail.com>
Cc: mozilla-dev-security-policy
<mozilla-dev-security-pol...@lists.mozilla.org>
Subject: Re: Certificates with shared private keys by gaming software (EA
origin, Blizzard battle.net)

On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 7:50 PM, Matthew Hardeman via dev-security-policy <

> Part of the trouble in relying upon the name alone is that on many
> OS's (maybe all -- at least all the ones that matter for client side
> work) can have localhost overridden to mean other things.

The main issue I see is that it effectively breaks SOP. It's not reasonable
to expect a user to know what app is listening on what port whenever a
browser connects, or to ensure that only Battle.net could listen on 28866.

If I recall correctly, this is actually more of a thing for WebSockets.

> If my recollection is correct, Chrome already considers
> http://localhost or is it http://127.0.0.1 to be a secure origin in
> nature.  Thus, code which arises from a request to localhost is
> treated as running within a secure context, even if it is not wrapped
> in a TLS connection.  (You can run javascript and access APIs in such
> circumstances on localhost via HTTP when ordinarily Chrome would
> require HTTPS to enable that access.)
>
> However...  That doesn't help the web developer who is trying to
> access a WebSocket service on localhost.  While Chrome regards the
> localhost as a secure origin, WebSockets in Chrome (and every other
> mainstream browser?) require the connection to be a TLS wrapped one,
> regardless of whether or not it's from a secure origin.
>
> (I wonder if they even wrote a protocol handler for non-secure web
> sockets?  At the moment, it's Christmas and I'm being too lazy to
> look.)

If by non-secure websockets you mean ws://, then yes, and Chrome is lax here
in that it allows access to ws://localhost from https:// without logging a
Mixed Content warning (Firefox only allows ws://localhost from http://).

I think the real issue is (anticipated) fallout of the move to HTTPS by
default, possibly along with the deprecation of Flash. I don't think there's
a clean solution for creating a socket from a website to an app on the local
machine, except maybe via WebRTC?

Mark