Tim,

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 9:57 AM, Tim Hollebeek <tim.holleb...@digicert.com>
wrote:

> > * Add a new bullet on IP Address validation that forbids the use of BR
> > 3.2.2.5(4) (“any other method”) and requires disclosure of IP Address
> > validation processes in the CA’s CP/CPS.
>
> This is a bit premature.  Most CA's IP validation procedures still fall
> under
> any other method, and the draft ballot that we've been trying to pass
> for a year or so is not done yet (I was writing it when the Validation
> Summit started taking over my life...)  There's a good chance we will
> get a ballot passed on this issue this summer, but there's also a good
> chance that work on improving the non-IP validation methods will be
> prioritized above it.
>
> This seems to contradict your comment in issue 116 [1]:

I think the solution to Ryan's issue is to remove 3.2.2.5 (4). The VWG is
> currently discussing changes to 3.2.2.5 (in order to remove 3.2.2.5 (4)),
> and we haven't heard of any CA that is using it, though we should check the
> smaller ones.

It's possible 3.2.2.5 (4) could be removed with an aggressive timeline if
> it's really true no one is using it.

It would be great to hear from CAs on the impact they would feel from
Mozilla banning 3.2.2.5(4) prior to passage of the VWG ballot you mentioned.

- Wayne

[1] https://github.com/mozilla/pkipolicy/issues/116